Hey my lovely readers, I hope you all had a great weekend! I thought I would write-up this weekends adventures, it wasn’t an official Alphabet Date but would be an awesome idea for all you foodies out there who want to try something new.
The Venue: L’atalier des Chefs, St Paul’s, London
The Date: Brazilian Cooking Class
What their site says:
“L’atelier des Chefs is proud to be the UK’s most popular cookery school! Located in London’s Oxford Circus and St Paul’s, last year we taught over 30,000 people how to master a wide range of cuisines and skills earning us a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence.”
I bought this cooking class for Tim as a Christmas present, he loves cooking, mastercheffing and generally cooking up a storm in the kitchen which usually results in an amazing meal and a shit tonne of pots and pans to wash up. So I thought it would be a pretty awesome idea to get him in a professional kitchen with a professional chef to learn some new skills.
We booked the course online and there are so many different classes to choose from, ranging from a 30 minute street food class that you could easily do in your lunch hour (If you’re in the area) to 3 hour gastronomical masterclasses, the end result being an absolute feast for you and your class mates. We chose a 90 minute Brazilian class, in which we cooked up three courses with the help of our tutor/chef Alan, a 20 year veteran in the chefing business. He was amazing and answered all our questions including “how do you cut an onion without crying” his answer – get someone else to do it.
We arrived at 11am for our class and after a quick briefing we were set to work to prepare:
Brazilian cheesey Bread rolls (Pao de Queijo)
– Traditional Brazilian fish Stew- Moqueca de Peixe
– Brazilian style rice and beans
– Brasil nut cake (Bolo de Castanhas do Para), Salt caramel sauce and creme fraiche
We were incredibly lucky to only have 4 of us in our class, so it was very much all hands on deck to prepare and cook everything. We we briefed by Alan every step of the way and at the end of it we had a gorgeous meal to enjoy. I can’t recommend this place enough for such an awesome day out, with such a huge variety of classes and two venues to choose from you really cant go wrong.
Here’s what you can expect in a class with the chefs:
– Constant care and attention from your host, who will ensure you enjoy every moment of your class – and bring you wine, because you have to cook with a glass of wine right?
– The class size varies in numbers, anything from a one on one during the quieter periods, to a maximum of 12 – 20 depending on the type of class and day of the week. As I said we were hugely lucky to only have 4 of us in our class.
– An initial explanation from our professional chefs, taking you through the recipes step by step
– Following the chef’s demo you will be on a bench with a maximum of six people, have a chopping board each, and will share the tasks to prepare your menu from scratch.
– You will learn lots of new tips and techniques throughout the class from your chef and you will be able pick their brains if you have any culinary questions!
– Finally, you will all come together as a class to cook and plate up your meal, all overseen with constant guidance from the chef.
After your class
– The Front of House Team will have prepared a dining table ready for you to take a seat, relax, and enjoy your cooking efforts as a class!
– If you are in a rush too, there is also the opportunity to take your food home in our takeaway boxes.
– You will be sent the recipes from the class within the following 24 hours ready for you to reproduce at home.
I can’t recommend this experience enough. Date days, birthdays, anniversaries, stag/hen dos, team building, this would be great for all of those things!
A Huge thank you to the team at St Paul’s for ensuring we had an incredible day out. For more information and to book your own class, please visit their website – https://www.atelierdeschefs.co.uk/